RIFC - Rhode Island Film Collaborative - Independent Films and Filmmakers in RI



Filmaking Through Community

 


Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Letter for Fighting Tax Credit Cuts

This comes from Ellen Becker-Gray who has helped fight the Tax Credit Cuts in RI and now is fighting them in MA too:

I never read the Herald, but someone sent me an article not favorable to our industry, so I responded. They published my Letter to the Editor.
"As a working actor, I must respond to Rep. Steven D’Amico’s latest assault on the film industry (“Hollywood East costly act,” June 28). What about the many local actors, production crews, food service people, electricians, florists, hotels, restaurants, tourist companies, real estate agents etc., who continue to benefit from the film industry’s venture into New England?
My husband and I lived in Massachusetts until we were cast in Showtime’s “Brotherhood,” a weekly TV show filmed in Rhode Island. I took early retirement as a teacher and continued my acting career as a Rhode Island resident.

Later, when Massachusetts offered its tax incentive, we found ourselves traveling between Massachusetts and Rhode Island. We spend much money in Massachusetts as do others in the industry. We stay in Bay State hotels, dine in restaurants and patronize stores and gas stations.

And we pay income taxes to your state, as do those “million dollar-plus salaries of wealthy movie stars and directors” to which D’Amico referred!"
- Ellen Becker-Gray,North Kingstown, R.I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home